Are you constantly having problems with your regular bike? Do you find it’s heavy to carry around?
Well, now a folding bike can slove your problem.
However, finding a good folding bike isn’t an easy job.
This is why we created a list of the Best Folding Bikes to buy in 2018. We hope this list helps you pick out a suitable folding bike.
What Is A Folding Bike?
Folding bikes are a new type of bicycle that’s separate from the other types of bikes on the market due to their defining characteristic: they fold.
The folding capacity makes these machines ideal for people who want to cycle on their daily work route but still have to use the public transportation.This type of bikes doesn’t take up much space, and they’re allowed on subways, trains, or buses, making them suitable for commuters.
But folding bikes are not only good for commuters. They’re also handy for people who don’t have too much storage space, or who are not willing to lose much of the storage space they have to a bicycle.These type of bikes can fit in one bedroom apartments, small flats, or college campus rooms, and you can even store them on boats and trailers.
Best Folding Bikes 2018
|Folding Bike Name||Folding Size||Weight||Frame|
|Dahon Mariner D8(Editor’s choice)||25.6” x 31” x 12.6”||26 lbs||Dalloy Sonus Tubeset||Check Price|
|Schwinn Loop 20||16″ x 32.5″ x 26″||33 lbs||Folding Alloy||Check Price|
|Dahon Vybe D7||26.4" x 13.4" x 32.7"||26.2 lbs||Aluminum||Check Price|
|Montague Paratrooper Pro||36" x 28" x 12"||29 lbs||7005 Series Aluminum||Check Price|
|Retrospec Single-Speed||10" x 30" x 22"||23.5 lbs||Aluminum||Check Price|
|Prodeco V5 Phantom X2||48″ x 36″ x 28″||57 lbs||Aluminum||Check Price|
|Dahon Speed D7||11.8" x 30.3" x 25.2"||27.6 lbs||K Series Chromoly||Check Price|
|Cyrusher FR100||15" x 35“ x 38"||41 lbs||Aluminum||Check Price|
|Allen Sports Downtown||33.5" x 28" x 13.5"||26 lbs||6061 Aluminum||Check Price|
|Stowabike 20”||34" x 9" x 23.2"||34 lbs||Steel||Check Price|
1. Dahon Mariner D8 Folding Bike – Best Folding Bike to Buy in 2018
Dahon is the world’s leading folding bikes manufacturer, holding hundreds of patents regarding folding bikes. The Dahon Mariner D8 is the upgraded of the previous Mariner D7. Now D8 becomes the company’s best selling model, and it’s easy to see why. This bike offers an array of high-quality components, a smooth ride, and it’s really easy to fold and carry.
The Dahon Mariner’s main advantage over its competition is the neat design. The design will allow you to fold the bike quickly, carry it with ease, and store it in a small place.
The folded bike’s small dimensions will allow you to store it on a shelf or under a desk, which can be a major advantage for commuters. The bike only measures 25.6″ x 31.1″ x 12.6″ when folded, so it’s really compact.
The D8 comes with front and rear fenders that will protect your clothing while riding. The 20” wheels are reliable, and they will be easy to steer, even in difficult conditions. The breaks are top-notch and they will stop the bike shortly and safely. This bike is versatile, and it’s suitable for both the short and the tall riders.
The Mariner D8 has 8 speeds which will prove helpful when you want to tackle hills on your way to work.
Bicycle Weight: 26 lbs
Rim Size: 20”
Folded Bike Size: 25.6” x 31.1” x 12.6”
Recommended Rider Height: 4’9” – 6’3” (145 – 190) cm
Maximum Rider Weight: 230 lbs (105 kg)
Drivetrain: 8-Speed Shimano RD-M310 Rear Derailleur, 8-speed SL-M310 Trigger Shifter
Fork: Smooth Riding and Stable Hi-Ten Steel Blades and Steerer
Handlepost: Forged Alloy Radius Telescope w/ Fusion Technology, Adjustable
Frame: Lightweight Dalloy Sonus Tubeset, Lattice Forged Hinge，w/ V-Clamp Technology
Brakes: Winzip Aluminium V-brake
Wheels: Aluminium single wall rim with Formula 20 holes front hub and 28 holes rear hub
Compact and Lightweight – The D8 weighs only 26 lbs, so you will be able to lift and carry it with ease. This will allow you to take the folded bike into a crowded bus or train without any problems.
Good For Large People – This folding bike is suitable for large people. The maximum weight the bike can handle is 230 lbs, and a 6’3” rider can still use the pedals comfortably.
Quick Assembly – The Mariner D8 requires some assembling when you first open the box, but the whole assembling process shouldn’t take more than 10 – 15 minutes. You will need to screw on the pedals, connect the chain to the gear, connect the seat to the frame, adjust the main hinge’s tightness, and fill the tires. You will probably manage to assemble the bike using only a pair of pliers and a hand pump. Note that the main hinge might be difficult to open at first, so be patient with it.
Good For Vacations – The bike’s compact size will allow you to store it in your car’s trunk when you leave on vacation. You won’t have to spend money on a car bicycle rack.
Even though it’s a folding model, this lightweight bike should not be underestimated. The bike’s frame is sturdy, it has a good braking power, and the 8 speeds provide a comfortable ride at all times.
The front and rear fenders will keep your clothes clean when you cycle in bad weather, and the rear rack provides a good storage space for your groceries. Despite its small folded size, the bike is durable and riding it feels safe.
- Good Value– The Mariner D8 incorporates a lot of high-quality components and still manages to come at a decent price.
- Cmpact and Lightweight – The bike’s size and weight will allow you to carry it everywhere you go.
- Comfortable – The 8 speeds make riding the bike a comfortable experience, even if you have to climb hills on your daily commute.
- Easy To Fold – The bike is easy to fold and unfold, and you won’t waste a lot of time doing it.
- Good For Most Riders – The Mariner D8 is suitable for both short and tall riders.
- Early Scratches – You should be careful when assembling the bike. The seat and handlebar posts can be scratched during the assembling.
- Quality Control Could Be Better – Some customers complained that their bikes presented small faults when they received them, which might be the result of a shallow quality control
2. Schwinn Loop 20 Folding Bike – Best Budget Friendly Folding Bike
The Schwinn Loop 20-Inch folding bike is our choice for the best budget-friendly folding bike. This model comes at a decent price but still manages to incorporate some awesome features that will make riding it a great experience.
This folding bike comes with 7 speeds which will allow you to tackle hills with ease, and the bike’s design is aesthetically pleasing. The bike weighs only 33 lbs, so lifting it won’t be too difficult.
The Loop has a solid construction, and the frame is very durable. You should be able to use the bike for years on end without deteriorating it. The breaks work great, and the stoppage space is rather short.
Taking into consideration that all these features are incorporated in a folding bike that’s cheap, we can surely state that the Schwinn Loop is the best budget-friendly model on our list.
Bike Weight: 33 pounds
Rim Size: 20”
Folded Bike Size: 16″ x 32.5″ x 26″
Recommended Rider Height: 4’9” – 6’1” ( 150 – 185 cm)
Maximum Rider Weight: 230 lbs (105 Kg)
Drivetrain: 7-speed Shimano grip shifting
Frame: Low standover folding alloy frame to make it easier to fold and store.
Brakes: Alloy front and rear linear pull brakes
Wheels: City Tires
Front And Rear Fenders – This folding bike comes with front and rear fenders that will stop dirt and water from ending up on your clothes.
Comes With Nylon Bag – The Schwinn Loop comes with a heavy-duty nylon bag you can use to securely store and carry the bike.
Built-In Carrier – The bike’s built-in carrier will allow you to carry your purse, suitcase, or backpack with ease. The carrier also provides a great way to secure your valuables to the bike.
The Schwinn Loops is an attractive folding bicycle that has a low stand-over frame. The frame’s design will be very helpful for commuters because it allows easy folding and unfolding. The frame is made out of steel, so it’s very durable.
The bike’s 7 speeds and powerful braking power make it suitable for an urban environment, but will also provide a comfortable experience if you decide to cycle on hills.
- Cheap – The Schwinn Loop is cheap compared with other folding models, which is definitely a pro
- Comfortable – The 7 speeds and good breaking power provide a comfortable ride
- Durable – The bike has a durable construction, so you should be able to use it for a long time.
- Bulky – Weighing 33 pounds, the bike is not heavy. However, it is bulkier than other models, so it’s not very comfortable to carry
- No Wheel Lock – The bike doesn’t have a wheel locking mechanism, so you can’t tie the wheels when you fold the bike.
- Handlebar Is Not Adjustable – The handlebar’s height is not adjustable, so the bike might be uncomfortable for tall riders.
The Dahon Vybe D7 has a cool retro look that’s suitable for both male and female riders. The bike has 7 speeds, and it will run smoothly even on steep inclines. The Vybe comes with a 5-year warranty, but you’ll have to get it reviewed by an authorized mechanic to activate it.
The bike’s frame is made out of drawn aluminum, and the painting makes it attractive in an urban environment. As you would expect from a Dahon bike, the gear shifting is flawless and doesn’t require any effort.
This bike is very easy to fold and unfold, which can be an advantage for commuters. The whole process should not last more than a minute at first, but once you get used to it, you’ll be able to do it in less than 30 seconds.
Folded Size: 26.4″ x 13.4″ x 32.7″
Weight: 26.2lbs (11.9kg)
Speeds / Gears: 7
Gear Shifter: 7 Speed, SRAM – Facilitates rapid shifting
Wheel Size: 20″
Frame Type: VYBE Dalloy with Visegrip technology
Brakes: WinZip 110mm V-Brakes
Max Rider Weight: 230lbs (105kg)
Great Breaks – The Dahon Vybe comes with excellent breaks, and that makes it perfect for an urban environment when you have to break and change direction often.
Quick Folding – The Vybe’s folding and unfolding mechanism is easy to use and quick to do. With a little experience, you should be able to fold the bike in about 15 – 30 seconds.
Looks Nice – The retro design and neat color scheme make the Dahon Vybe one of the best-looking models on our list. The color pattern is suitable for both men and women.
The Vybe’s 7-speed drivetrain is top-notch, and switching gears will be a smooth and flawless process. The 7 speeds will allow you to cycle on flats and tackle the occasional hill without breaking a sweat.
The bike comes at an affordable price, and it’s one of the cheapest Dahon models available on the market. The bike comes with front and rear fenders which will protect your clothes during the ride, and a rear kickstand to secure your luggage.
The Vybe D7 has an attractive design, and it’s very easy to fold and unfold. The aluminum frame is sturdy but lightweight, so carrying the bike should be comfortable.
- Beautiful Design – The bike’s design and color pattern make it very attractive
- Runs Smoothly – The 7 speeds will allow you to cycle smoothly through the city
- Quick Folding – The whole folding process should take up to 30 seconds once you get used to it
- Rust Resistant – The bike’s aluminum frame is rust-resistant, so you can use the bike in all kinds of weather
- Height Is Difficult To Adjust – The handlebar’s height is difficult to adjust, and the saddle bar does not adjust, so it might be inconvenient to share the bike
- Seat Is Hard – The bike’s seat is hard, and that might be a disadvantage for some customers
4. Montague Paratrooper Pro Folding Bike – Best Folding Mountain Bike
The Montague Paratrooper Pro is a folding bike specially designed for people who enjoy riding cross-country or mountain. Unlike the models we presented so far, this bike can not only tackle the occasional hill, but it will handle it smoothly even if the hill is bumpy.
The Paratrooper has 27 speeds that will allow you to have a comfortable ride even in tough off-road conditions. The gears are specially designed for climbing, and the bike has a 100 mm of travel in the front which will absorb most of the shock produced by off-road bumps.
But this bike is not only useful in an off-road scenario. You can still use it with good results in an urban environment, and the bike’s high durability and good bearing capabilities will allow you to use it for a very long time.
Bike Weight: 29 lbs.
Folded Bike Size: 36″ x 28″ x 12″
Wheel Size: 26″
Frame Sizes: 18″ and 20″ frame.
Frame: custom drawn 7005 Series Aluminum with FIT System.
Suspension: LockOut Feature allows you to turn them on and off
Wheels: Kenda Slant Six Knobby
Fork: Disc Compatible. 100 mm travel
27 Speeds Of Comfort – The 27 speeds will allow you to ride comfortably even in off-road conditions. Switching the gears is smooth, and you won’t have to put in a lot of effort to climb hills.
Tough Frame – Even though the frame is lightweight, it’s very tough. This is a major advantage for an off-road bike.
Disk Breaks – The Paratrooper uses disk breaks. These breaks are better than calipers, and they will respond quickly to your actions.
The Montague Paratrooper uses an integrated CLIX system. This system will allow you to fold and unfold the bike in less than half a minute, which should be very advantageous for commuters. You only have to use the quick release lever and the bike will fold, allowing you to take it with you in a bus or a train.
The bike’s suspension system uses a LockOut feature which will allow you to turn the suspensions on or off. This is a good feature because it ensures a smooth ride in both urban and off-road conditions.
This model uses Kenda Slant Six tires, so it will be slightly faster than the other models we included on our list. These tires will provide speed when cycling on pavement, but they will provide the necessary grip for an off-road track as well.
- Very Solid – The bike is very solid when unfolded, which is an advantage for off-road cycling
- Disk Breaks – The Paratrooper Pro uses disk breaks. This braking system is more responsive than the caliper system used by other models
- Easy to Assemble – It just requires adding front wheel and pedals
- Suspension Locks – Suspension locks keeps rider stable while riding and also helps go in high speed without any trouble
- 27 Speeds – The 27 speeds will allow you to ride on off-road tracks with ease
- Bulky – The bike’s 26” rim makes it bulky and difficult to carry even when folded.
- Handlebar Is Not Adjustable – The handlebar is not adjustable, so tall riders might not have a comfortable experience
- Rough Handlebar Grips -The handlebar grips are rough, so you might need gloves for increased comfort.
Retrospec is a world-renowned collapsible bike manufacturer. Their products provide a high-quality, but the company manages to maintain the prices at affordable levels. The Retrospec Speck folding bike is no exception. The bike has a cool and hip design which will work perfectly in an urban area. The simple and elegant design will allow you to stand out in a crowd and turn heads wherever you cycle.
The Speck comes with an aluminum frame which is light but durable. This bike has a single speed, so you will have to put in some effort if you have to climb a steep hill. There is a silver lining to the single speed, though, and that is the simplicity of the gear system. This will provide a neat and clean look to the bike, and it will require minimal maintenance over time.
This bike uses a rear coaster brake, so you can activate it by pedaling backward. This might take some time to get used to, but it’s really easy and effective to use once you do.
Bike Weight: 23.5 lbs
Folded Bike Size: 10″ x 30″ x 22″
Frame: Hand-built aluminum frame and fork; 30% lighter than steel or chrome
Tires: Kwenda Kwest commuter tires
Break: Strong 16T Coaster Brake Cog
Great Looking – The bike’s design might be its strongest asset. This bike will look great, whether you’re riding it for leisure or for your commute.
Reasonably Priced – This bike comes at a decent price, so you won’t have to break the bank to buy it
Light And Compact – The light frame and compact design will allow you to fold and carry the bike with ease. The folding and unfolding process is easy and straightforward.
The Retrospec Speck comes with a single speed. This might be difficult to get used to, and sometimes downright inconvenient. Having a single speed, you will have to pedal faster to tackle hills, and that might prove to be a disadvantage for some people.
The coaster brake system is also unusual, and it might take some time to get used to. Instead of breaking with your hands, this system requires you to pedal backward to activate the breaks. This might be tricky at first, especially if you’re speeding, but you can get used to it.
The bike’s folding mechanism is awesome. The whole process takes about 10 – 20 seconds once you get used to it, and the hinge mechanism is very reliable.
- Folding Pedals – The Restrospec Speck comes with folding pedals, so it won’t take up too much storage space.
- Reliable Folding Mechanism – The bike’s folding and unfolding mechanism has a high-quality and it’s reliable
- Lightweight – The bike is lightweight and comfortable to carry over long distances
- Handlebar Adjustable – The height of handlebar is adjustable
- Commuter Tires – specially designed commuter tires allows large amount of water dispersion.
- Flat Roads – Only recommended for casual, leisure biking on flat roads and small hills.
- No Fenders – The bike doesn’t come with fenders, so you will either ride without them and risk staining your clothes or spend money on a pair.
- Bad Instructions Manual – The instructions manual explains how to assemble a different bike model.
6. Prodeco V5 Phantom X2 – Best Folding Electric Bike
The Prodeco V5 Phantom X2 is a hybrid bike that mixes a standard and a mountain bike, and also uses a motor. The first thing you’ll notice about this bike is its aspect. The Phantom X2 has a great frame design, and the paint has a high quality.
The motor and battery are so subtle, some people might not notice them at a first glance. The middle hinge mechanism makes folding and unfolding the bike easy. The X2 uses an 8-speed drivetrain that will allow you to cycle over hills without any problems.
The gear ratio is efficient, and it’s easy to gain or lose speed. The motor can be turned on and off at any time, and the same gear remains engaged once it does.
The 500-watt motor can reach up to 20 mph, and it’s surprisingly quiet. Most people won’t even know the motor if on when you pass them.
Total Weight: 57 lbs
Folded Bike Size: 48″ x 36″ x 28″
Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
Frame Types: High-Step, Folding
Frame Fork Details: RockShox XC28 with 120 mm Travel and Lockout
Attachment Points: Bottle Cage Bosses
Gearing Details: 8 Speed 1×8 SRAM X7, 11-28T
Shifter Details: SRAM X7 Grip Twist
Cranks: 44T x 170 104BCD Aluminum
Headset: Integrated Cartridge Bearing
Stem: Promax 31.8 mm Adjustable Angle
Brake Details: Avid DB1 Hydraulic Disc with 180 mm HS1 Rotors
Grips: Kraton with Alloy Lock Rings
Rims: Triple Box Wide 32 mm
Tire Brand: Continental Traffic, 26″ x 2.1″
vWheel Sizes: 26” (66.04cm)
Double Leg Kickstand, 43.8V 2 Amp Charger, Aluminum Bash Guard on Front Ring, Bell on Left Bar
Removable Battery Pack
The bike’s drivetrain is top-notch, and switching the is done smoothly. The motor engages and disengages when you want it to without changing your current gear. The Lithium battery pack can last for up to 38 miles on a single charge, depending on the speed, gear, and road difficulty.
The bike’s design is definitely a plus, and most people won’t even notice it’s an electric model until you point it out. The seat is soft and comfortable, and the frame is very sturdy.
- Quiet – Unlike other electric bikes, this model is really quiet.
- Good Range – A single battery charge can last for up to 38 miles, which is a pretty good range.
- Good Suspension – The bike uses a good suspension system, and that will allow you to use it on off-road trails.
- Heavy – Weighing 58 pounds, this electric bike is pretty heavy. Carrying it around town will be a feat of strength.
- Not Waterproof – The bike can withstand a drizzle, but if you ride it in pouring rain you risk damaging it.
The Dahon Speed D7 is one of Dahon’s best-selling models, and it’s easy to see why. This model comes at a decent price with a 5-year warranty, and it has a sportster look that will impress most people you cycle by.
The bike’s frame is made out of chromoly, and it’s very tough and sturdy. The frame’s design is somewhat similar to that of a freestyle bike, and the handlebar post is adjustable, making the bike suitable for most riders, no matter their height.
The bike has 7 speeds, and you will be able to cycle up and down hills without breaking a sweat. The folding and unfolding mechanism is top-notch, and you will be able to fold the bike in a matter of seconds once you get used to it.
Weight: 27.6 lbs (12.5 kg).
Folded Bike Size: 11.8″ × 30.3″ × 25.2″
Frame: K Series 4130 chromoly lightweight steel frame.
Tires: 20″ x 1.50″
Recommended Rider Height: 4’8″ – 6’4″ (142 – 193 cm)
Maximum Rider Weight: 230 lbs (105 kg)
The Dahon Speed D7 is a great folding bicycle. The 7 speeds will allow you to cycle up a hill with ease, and changing the gears is a simple and smooth process. The brakes are very responsive, making the Speed a bike suitable for the urban environment.
The folding mechanism is flawless, and the frame’s low profile will allow you to carry the bike comfortably for a long time. Weighing about 30 lbs, the bike is not exactly lightweight, but the weight is well distributed, so carrying the bike won’t be a difficult feat.
- Good Tires – The Dahon Speed comes with high-quality tires that will absorb most of the shock. This will increase the bike’s comfort.
- Adjustable Handlebar – The handlebar height is adjustable, so you can share the bike with different riders.
- Fits In Tight Spaces – When it’s folded, the bike will fit in tight spaces.
- Affordable Price – This bike comes at an affordable price, especially if you consider the high-quality components it uses.
- A Bit Heavier – The bike is a bit heavier. Could be a little lighter.
- No Instructions Manual – The bike doesn’t come with an instructions manual, so you’ll have to assemble it on your own.
- Difficult Warranty Extension – You will need to certify the bike at an expert to extend the warranty from 2 to 5 years.
The first thing everyone will notice about the Cyrusher FR100 is the awesome mountain bike design. This premium folding bike has a thick and tough build, and it incorporates a lot of high-quality components.
The bike has a tough aluminum frame that’s not only durable but looks great as well. The FR100 features 24 gears that will allow you to tackle even the steepest hills without too much difficulty. The bike comes with an XCM suspension that can be activated and deactivated whenever you need.
The saddle is very comfortable and combined with the high-quality suspension system and the rigid frame, it will provide a pleasing cycling experience.
Fold Bike Size: 15″ X 35″ x38″
Bike Weight: 41 lbs
Speeds: M310 ALTUS 24 Speeds
Frame: Aluminium Frame 17″
Fork: XCM Lockout Suspension Aluminium
Handle Bar: 31.8 Aluminium Pro Handlebar
Shift Lever: Shimano M310 ALTUS 24
Breaks: TW Yinxin High Quality Mechanical Disc Brakes
Freewheel: Shimano 24TZ
Rim: Yuemei GM Magnesium Alloy 26″ -6 Spokes
Tires: Chaoyang MTB 26″X1.95
This is a premium folding mountain bike, and it acts like one. The tires adhere to any surface, and they will absorb most of the shock when you ride off-road. The suspension system and the comfortable saddle will allow you to ride for hours without getting sore, even on difficult trails.
Even though this model is a mountain bike, it is still suitable for an urban environment. Moreover, the bike will definitely turn heads when you cycle in a crowded area. The bike’s design is an eye-catcher, and it will definitely get noticed.
The bike is not very heavy, but the tires are large and that makes the bike uncomfortable to carry for a long time. The folding mechanism is simple to operate, but it’s slightly slower than that of other models.
- Looks Amazing – This bike has an exquisite look that will impress most people.
- Great For Off-Road Tracks – The Cyrusher is great for off-road tracks, and it will provide a good riding experience.
- 24 Speeds – The 24 speeds will allow you to cycle fast, whether you’re doing it on flats or on hills.
- Great Tires – The bike’s tires are very good at adhering to the road
- Costly – This premium mountain bike comes at a price
- Slow Folding – The folding mechanism is slower than that of other models.
- Difficult To Carry – Due to the bike’s large wheels, carrying the bike is not comfortable.
The Allen Sports Downtown has a nice-looking frame that folds and unfolds quickly. The whole process is over in a matter of seconds, and the bike locks into place safely. The locking mechanism is almost automatic, and the bike is easy to carry around, even for long distances.
This bike model has a single speed, so it might be problematic if you plan on climbing hills with it. You will have to pedal quickly to reach the top, and that might not be a great choice for commuters.
Folded Bike Dimensions: 33.5″ x 28″ x 13.5″
Bike Weight: 26 lbs (11.8 kg)
Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Lightweight Steel
Wheel size: 20″
Tires: 20″ x 1.5″
Rims: P-6N Alloy
Handlebar: Hi-Ten Steel
Crank Set: Samox
Front Brake: WinZip
Rear Brake: WinZip
Maximum Rider Weight: 242 lbs
Suggested Rider Height: 4’9″ – 6’6″ (150cm – 200cm)
Even though it has a single speed, this bike shouldn’t be underestimated. In fact, having a single speed has its own advantages, such as low maintenance and great efficiency on flat roads. This makes the bike suitable for city dwellers.
The bike is easy to fold and unfold, and its small dimensions allow you to carry the bike wherever you travel. You will be able to store the bike under a desk or in a train, so this model can be very appealing for commuters.
- Effortless Folding – The Allen Sports Downtown uses a great folding mechanism that makes folding and unfolding the bike effortless.
- Sturdy Frame – The frame is sturdy and durable, and it safely locks into place.
- Low Maintenance – The bike has a low maintenance level.
- Single Speed – The bike uses a single speed, so it might be uncomfortable to ride uphill
- Pedals Don’t Fold – The Downtown’s pedals won’t fold, and they might be a nuisance when you carry the bike
The Stowabike 20” folding bike model provides a good option for people who don’t want to spend too much on a folding bicycle. This model comes with a 6-speed gear, and a good folding and unfolding mechanism.
The bike offers enough gears to tackle medium hills without any problems, and barely break a sweat when you want to cycle over steep ones. When folded, the bike is small and compact, so most people won’t encounter any difficulties carrying it around town on their commute.
The bike’s seat is wide enough to be comfortable, and the bike’s frame will be suitable for both short and tall riders.
Bike Weight: 34 lbs
Folded Bike Dimensions: 34” x 9” x 23.2”
Frame: Durable and sturdy 20” steel
Fork: 20″, Steel
Speed: 6, Microshift
Max Rider Weight: 280 lbs.
Adjustable seat and height
Easy folding and storage
Built in with steel mudguard and rack
The Stowabike looks good. In fact, this is one of the bike’s leading features. The price is also an advantage, and surely one of the reasons people choose this model over others.
The bike is very versatile, and it can be used by children and adults alike. The adjustable seat will allow riders of different heights to use the bike. Unfortunately, the handlebar is not adjustable, so tall riders might find it slightly uncomfortable.
The bike is easy to fold and carry, even though it’s not one of the lightest models available. The compact size will allow you to take the bike with you on public transportation, so the bike is good for commuters.
- Cheap – The bike comes at a low price, making it perfect for parents who want a bicycle for their children.
- Versatile – The bike is versatile, and it can be used with good results by short and tall riders alike.
- Easy To Carry – Thanks to its compact size, the bike is easy to carry when it’s folded.
- Looks Good – The bike has an aesthetically pleasing look.
- Not Lightweight – Weighing 35 pounds, this bike is not exactly lightweight.
- Handlebar Is Not Adjustable – The handlebar is not adjustable, so it might be uncomfortable for tall riders even if the frame is suitable for them.
- Cheap Materials – The materials used for this bike are cheap, and some of them might need regular maintenance.
The Benefits of Folding Bike
You might be wondering what benefits would a folding bike offer. Well, we made a list of 5 major benefits they bring to the table.
Practical – Folding bikes are more practical than their regular counterparts. You can take them in public transportation units, and you can carry them with ease.
Space Savers – If you live in a large city, you know that the storage space your home offers is limited. A folding bike will take up just a fraction of the space a normal bike would.
Secure – You know the stomach-churning feeling you get when you secure your bike to a streetlight? What if someone were to steal it? Well, you won’t get that feeling if you use a folding bike. You can simply take it with you in the office and store it under the desk or in the hallway.
Good For Commuters – A folding bike will allow you to beat the traffic and it will actually pay for itself after a few months of use because you won’t spend so much on gas.
Keeps You Fit – Riding a folding bike to and from work will do a great job at keeping you fit.
Types Of Folding Bikes
As you could see from our comprehensive folding bike reviews, not all the models are similar. In fact, their build and design differ because they have different purposes.
Folding Road Bikes – These bikes are specially designed to allow you to cycle through the city. They are slim, lightweight, and practical, and you can carry them with you wherever you go. These bikes are usually light, and they can be very fast on the road, allowing you to reach your destination quickly.
Folding Mountain Bikes – These bikes are designed to tackle hills and off-road tracks. They are bulkier than the road bikes, and they usually have larger wheels. Due to their increased weight and wheel size, they are more difficult to carry around, but not impossible. Commuters can still use these bikes with good results, and they can also take the bikes with them when they leave on vacation.
What To Look For When Buying Folding Bike
Folding bikes have many features, but you might not need all of them. Here is a list of important features you should look for in a folding bike.
Weight – The weight of the bike is a crucial factor in its portability. A lightweight model will be easier to carry than a heavy one, so if you have to use your city’s public transportation services, you might prefer a lighter bike.
Speeds – Having more speeds means you won’t have to put in a lot of effort when you have to cycle up a hill. You will just have to change the speed and pedal as you normally would, and you will eventually get to the top. On the other hand, having a single speed might make cycling uphill a daunting task. You will have to pedal very fast to do it, and that will be tiring.
Folded Size – One of the main advantages of having a folding bike is storing it wherever you want. As you can imagine, a smaller bike will be easier to store than a larger one.
Wheels – The bike’s wheels not only determine how comfortable you’ll be able to ride the bike, they also determine how large the bike will be when folded and how comfortable you’ll be able to carry it. Having larger wheels on a folding bike will make it more comfortable to ride but less comfortable to carry.
There’s no denying that the folding bicycle market is on the rise. Just look around you. You can definitely tell that the number of riders who prefer folding models over the classical one has grown. But finding a suitable folding bike can be difficult in today’s crowded market. That’s why we decided to create this comprehensive best folding bikes 2018 list and to explain how each feature of a folding bike can help in a certain situation.
We’re confident that after reading this article, you’ll be able to find the best folding bike for your needs. Keep in mind that not all folding bikes are created equal, so you should find the model that fits better with your tastes and budget.
Related Buyer’s Guides and Brutes Lists: